Wednesday, November 1, 2017

November 3rd, 2020

I read something, in response to the Mueller investigation against Paul Manafort, that betting odds on Trump surviving his first term are under fifty percent. When I went to look it up, I discovered something I've apparently whiffed on for the past several months—the odds have been under fifty percent for a while.

Granted, the main betting channel I see mentioned is Paddy Power, an Irish gambling site that is almost certainly taking advantage of the money people desperately want to throw at the idea of Donald Trump being unceremoniously dumped out of the presidency. I mentioned in regards to the Mayweather/McGregor fight how the desire of people to bet a certain way can skew gambling odds way out of whack as compared to the actual odds of a thing happening. Even now, as this presidency somehow continues to grow as a clusterfuck day after day, I don't think the odds of a resignation or impeachment leading to removal are over fifty percent, or realistically anywhere near it. There are too many people politically invested in not letting this presidency fail that badly for removal to happen, and Trump is stubborn enough to not quit.

But, goddamn, what a time to witness. The concern of people being too distracted by Trump to notice the ridiculous shit that's actually being done isn't as bad as I thought it could be, but it's still a thing and I hope we don't forget to keep paying attention.

No comments:

Post a Comment